- 1-1/4 cup of Bass pecan halves and quarters,
- 1-1/2 sticks of cold unsalted butter, cut into very small bits 2-1/2 pounds of apples, preferably 2 varieties, peeled, quartered, cored and cut in 1/2″ wide slices,
- juice of half a lemon,
- 1/2 cup of dried cherries,
- 3/4 cup of all-purpose flour,
- 3/4 cup of old-fashioned rolled oats,
- 1/2 cup of sugar,
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar,
- 1 teaspoon of apple pie spice pinch of salt
- optional: dollops of sweetened whipped cream or topping or small scoops of vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Toast the pecans in a skillet over a medium heat until lightly crisp. Set aside.
- Grease a 12×9 baking dish with some of the butter.
- Place the apples slices and lemon juice in a bowl and toss. Add the cherries and toss again.
- Pour into the prepared baking dish.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, oats, sugars, spice and salt. Add the butter and rub the mixture between your fingers until blended. Add the pecans and blend again.
- Scatter on top of the apples.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the topping is golden brown and the fruit is bubbling.
- Cool until warm or at room temperature.
- Very good with the optional whipped cream, ice cream or frozen yogurt
Total Time: 1 hour 5 min.
Yields: 1 (12X9 inch dish)